Monday, December 29, 2008

Le bebe!

Hey, look! It's my baby!


There's the head on the left, and the little leggies poking up on the right...ahh! It really hit me today as we were at the appointment! I got really teary-eyed while she was doing the ultrasound (but mainly because I was so relieved that the neck measurements were normal, which means it's not likely to have Down Syndrome). And, hello! They pulled 7 vials of blood outta me! Good grief! And an interesting statistic for my practice...apparantly 70% of patients use one of the 6 trained (with a Master's degree!) midwives rather than a Doctor!

To all you moms out there: Did YOU use a doctor or a midwife?

15 comments:

cat+tadd=sam said...

Hooray for the baby's first pictures! And hey, my neice with Down's is the cutest thing you've ever seen. I guess we're really lucky she's so healthy, but I know you'd be an amazing mother to a child with special needs!

Not sure how much Megan charges for a blog skin but I just emailed her and I'll let you know when I hear back!

Coombs Family said...

Hey Shan... I still can't believe it! Your pregnant, yeah! I've been thinking about you so much lately. I even talked about it to Alex the other night. I miss you girly!!! I can't wait for you to start showing (sorry, I don't see much in your pictures yet, but I remember feeling the bump inside before it was super noticable). Anyway, I love you and miss you tremendously and I am SOOO excited for you to be a mama! Lots of love, mand

Clair said...

How exciting! Your first pictures :) My first two I delivered with a dr and this one I'm going with a midwife. All of my appts have been with midwives and so far I've loved the experience SO MUCH MORE than I ever did with the docs. They have been more attentive, spent more time with me, etc.

AshleyS said...

congrats, shannon! i haven't blogged this b/c mine isn't private but since yours is, i'll tell you on here...you and i are due at the same time! I think you're like a week ahead of me. my due date is july 12. i know all too well about the sickness thing, i actually had to be admitted to the hospital for dehydration this time around. but, like you, i am finally starting to feel a little better. i am using the same doctor who delivered my first. she's the best but i've heard good things about midwives too. stop worrying and just enjoy the second trimester, it's the best part. i'm so happy for you!!!

Misty said...

I just used a doctor. I wonder if things would've been different delivery wise though with a midwife!? My sister has used midwives and several of my friends. Just make sure you're somewhere delivering where there are doctors around just in case you need (i.e my sister delivered at the hospital with her midwife; my sister-in-law delivered at home with a midwife).

Fiona said...

Midwife all the way! I loved my midwife that delivered Kaisa soo much, and so I'm using the same team of midwives again. It was amazing...she was there through the entire labor and delivery at the hospital. I don't remember a time she wasn't there, even though she was delivering 8 babies at 2 different hospitals that day. She took the time to allow my body to stretch as my baby came out, avoiding an episiotomy. Most doctors will show up as you start pushing, cut you open and get the baby out fast so they can go on to the next one. (That is certainly a generalization, but better safe than sorry!)

Mikel said...

So I didn't use a midwife mostly because I hadn't really heard anything about them. But just recently I'v been hearing/learning about it and I'm almost totally convinced to use one next time.

Brittney said...

So exciting to have baby's first pics. It makes it feel so much more real, don't you think? I'm so excited for you.

And as for the stomach bulge...I'm NOT seeing it. You're still as tiny as ever!

Jamie said...

Congratulations! Were so excited for you guys! Babies and Kids are the BEST... they make life SO much more Fun and Interesting!

cat+tadd=sam said...

Hey! Sorry I forgot to tell you that Megan emailed me back and said to just email her and you two can discuss the type of design that you want. Her email is meganromo@gmail.com.

Jaime said...

How exciting, congrats! I used a doctor...I don't know how I feel about midwives...I had awesome doctors.

whitneyingram said...

I didn't even know you are pregnant. I just checked your blog right now and WHAM! Ultrasounds pix! Congrats!!! I am a little jealous. I love having babies so much.

As for dr or midwife, it is a toss up. I have had the same doctor for both my boys and I love that man. But I think I am going to have a midwife next time. I have had an epidural both times, but I am curious how I would do without one. So I am thinking a midwife will be my choice next time. I actually would love to have a baby at home, but my husband isn't so hot about the idea.

Above all, do what YOU feel is best for you and your child. This whole mother intuition starts NOW. Don't ignore those tugging feelings.

Craig and AshLee said...

COngrats. Your are going to be a great mom. It is the best thing in the world. My baby just turned 1 and it really makes you love it even more. Best of luck with everything. I hope it goes smooth as ever.

AshLee Peterson Sessions

Sarah said...

Hey, so I haven't written here forever b/c your blog doesn't show on my updates! I totally knew you were pregnant but have yet to tell you CONGRATS!! I'm totally excited for you. I've read tons of books. Namely 12 hours sleep by 12 weeks old, healthy sleep happy child, baby whisperer, baby wise, Your fussy baby, The Your Baby Can Read DVDs, and everything by Dr. Lynn Scorsby. The first two and last two being the best for me. Seriously the DVD's are awesome and so is Dr. Scorsby and Elizabeth slept 12 hours a night by 13 weeks. And I used a doctor and he was fantastic, he really made me feel comforable and at ease and seemed to know so much more and have so much more experience than the nurses. I have heard midwives are great though...so, personal choice. I need your email!

Laurel said...

My sister-in-law had an awesome time with midwives, so I decided to do that with Lincoln. IT WAS A ROYAL, ROYAL NIGHTMARE! I won't bore you with the details, but I switched to doctors and will never see another midwife as long as I live. I think if you have a run of the mill pregnancy, midwives are fine. Any problems and I'd take a doctor.

As for the blood, get used to seeing those 7 vials leave your body every time.