Friday, September 18, 2009

Tips please...

Quick question...
Should I be a little worried about Hugh not being very good at lifting his head 45 degrees while doing tummy time? He can hold his head pretty steady when I hold him, just not from his tummy. He's 11.5 weeks old. I know babies all develop at different times, but I just get so concerned! I have been really bad at making him do t.t. until the past week cause he hates it, but I figured I should probably just make him, so we do it for like 1 minute a bunch of times during the day and he only will hold his head up for like 10-20 seconds. Last time we went to the doc, she said that he has torticollis (where he majorly prefers looking one way cause his neck muscles on the other side aren't as developed) and she wanted me to take him to physical therapy, but I haven't yet because he's still so little and malleable and I don't want to do anything until he's less of an infant.
Anyway...I'd love to hear your opinions!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

In my experience, kids are pretty resilient and we as parents worry a lot more than we need to. Emily had torticollis as well (I don't know how severe Hugh's is) and the doctor just gave me a few exercises to do with her at home and she was fine. As for your other concern, like you said, babies all develop at their own pace. It is important for them to hit milestones, but the timetable is so different from baby to baby that you don't really need to worry unless he's way late. Doctors sometimes seem to overreact because they have seen worst-case scenarios and maybe because they are worried about malpractice suits.

Misty said...

I wouldn't worry too much. definitely encourage him to look the other way and keep up with the tummy time, but let hugh be hugh. ALL babies favor one side for the first little while.

Also, if he has to go to physical therapy or something at some point, I wouldn't worry too much either...early intervention is the best (in my opinion, as long as they give him a chance to do it on his own first) and then it will all be behind you. They grow so fast that what's happening one day will be totally different the next week or so and you'll wonder what happened to the time!

whitneyingram said...

I am the worst person to ask these type of questions to. I just don't worry about my boys. I should probably worry more, but I don't. After having two, I have been able to see the differences in their development. Jack rolled over at 2 months. Van rolled over at 7 months. Either way, they will end up going to college.

Above all, listen to your own intuition. Mother's intuition is a very real thing. Take advise and then pray about it. You will know.