Sunday, May 24, 2009

Question of the Week...

Nursing bra suggestions anyone? Are they even necessary, or a waste of money? Also, we're packing up the hospital bag this coming weekend...any suggestions that you found you were especially grateful to have in the hospital?

14 comments:

Lauren said...

I love the sleeping ones. They're like sports bras but they are split so you can nurse. So comfortable! But they don't offer much support or coverage... so don't wear them in public.

Nickell said...

I was so happy to have a nursing bra, definitely not a waste of money in my opinion. As for something to make sure you have at the hospital... it sounds weird but there are these cooling pad things that help cool down the girls because they will feel like they are on a fire after the first few days of nursing. You won't need them for the hospital most likely, maybe, but I didn't need them until I was home. They were definitely needed!

Nikki said...

Nursing bra is a must for me!!! I really liked having my nursing cover in the hospital because people are going in and out of your room all the time.

Amanda said...

You definitely need more supportive bras as well, but I love the sleep nursing bras. It didn't even occur to me beforehand that I would need something comfortable to sleep in to hold the nursing pads in place. So I would second Lauren's suggestion. Also, I love the Lansinoh brand for their Lanolin cream and their nursing pads. The cream saved my life when I was nursing Emily.

Amanda said...

PS - Mimi and Motherhood both have the sleep bras, but motherhood is like $15 cheaper for the exact same thing.

Jill said...

I'll have to second all these girls. Definitely need a nursing bra..totally worth it, and the sleep ones are the best at the beginning when you get all engorged. You need them to stay in one place, and they help hold the pads in etc...I wear my sleep one all the time right now..night and day since the boobs hurt all the time, but once you start going out..you need one with some coverage. I'm hit and miss on those ones...I have a padded one (I thought it would be better to cover up if you are wearing nursing pads), but it's hard to fold them down to nurse since it's so bulky..You'll probably just have to try a few and see what you like, but I'm with all these girls. For sure get a sleep one. They are the best.

Hospital bag..since i was just there...stuff to read if you don't like to watch tv. I like having extra pairs of socks since you are usually in the hospital gown and hanging out all over the place, but keeps your feet clean from trudging back and forth to the bathroom. Also, some snacks..they don't always have stuff open when you deliver, and you and ogg may get hungry. That happened to chip and I. Other than that, just what they recommend. Sorry about the long post. Maybe because I just did this 5 days ago..it's all so fresh in my head.

AshleyS said...

def need a nursing bra, i liked the medella brand. i got mine at a baby boutique but i'm sure they're sold almost everywhere. take it to the hospital with you along with some nursing pads.

also, i LOVED having my boppy at the hospital. my arms got super tired from nursing all the time and not being used to that position, i even got a small case of carpel tunnel, so glad i had the boppy. plus when younger family members would come visit they would use it to hold the baby so no one was nervous about the baby being dropped.

i second the other people who mentioned bringing along a nursing cover and also the cooling pads--i got those at Rite Aid, they were called Coldeez.

guess i should start thinking of packing my bag if you are already packing yours. :-) so excited for you!

Misty said...

pack a right-handed punch for any lactation specialist who tells you, a first time mother, that "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong!" That's what I wish I had done! =)

Expect that it will definitely not be comfortable at first. Make sure Hugh is latched on right or it will be WAY more painful but just know it will take a little time to get used to.

Also - I totally dig the sleep nursing bras. And to be honest - I wore them all the time at first too. When you're walking around with spit up on you and no sleep - the last thing I worried about was my boob support! =) I just wanted to be comfortable!

Good luck!

Laurel said...

I say yes to nursing bras. I felt really ugly in the lacy grandma ones, so I found some at Victoria's Secret that had a front closure and that worked pretty good. I may wait until your milk is in to go shopping because you'll be shaped a little differently than you are now. Getting a sleep bra now would be fine, cause it'll stretch as you get engorged. But, I'd wait to find a regular bra until you're lactating.

I wished that I had my own pajamas. I felt a little gross wearing the hospital gowns--even if they were fresh from the laundry. Having your own pjs makes a difference.

Oh, and if you have a pair of panties, I'd throw them in your bag. If you're like me, you'll have an ice pack on the exit wound for a few days and your g's don't hold that in place as well as the ole panties will.

Clair said...

BRAVADO nursing bras are awesome. i've loved them. supportive and super comfy. they don't look funny under your clothes, too. they have a good shape about them, if that makes sense.

just one note on advice about going home, even if you are feeling "ok" when you are checking out, ask for a prescription pain med anyway. even if you don't use it, have it just in case. with all three babies, my pain would get way worse once I got home between the nursing and all the "parts" shrinking back to normal. That really helped.

I never was one on having my own PJs b/c I didn't want to trash them with all the "bodily fluids" and I could never pjs that had convenient nursing. BUT if you find some you dont care if they get trashed and have good buttons or whatever for nursing, then go for it. The hospital gowns were fine with me for the 24 hours I was in the hospital, tho. My main thing was having a robe to walk around in.

Clair said...

oh and I just read jill's comment. YES...bring snacks. There are never enough. And you find yourself up at all hours of the night in the hospital and there is something about labor and delivery that makes you so hungry afterward. you will want snacks for both you and ogg.

Sarah said...

Soo not a waste of money. I got two cheap underwire and one cheap sleeping. It was perfect.

Fiona said...

I love the Motherhood Maternity nursing bra that is slightly padded...it's comfortable, supportive, you can wear it under anything and it won't show the bulky nursing pads...and it's only $18!! Their sleep bras are great too for night time.

Someone mentioned panties for the hospital...I'm going to have to disagree with that...they provide you with disposable gauze panties that work great to hold all the ice packs and huge pads in place. Also, you are bleeding quite a bit so I wouldn't recommend wearing the g's for at LEAST the first 24 hours after delivering...they will just get all bloody.

One thing about packing for the hospital...pack LIGHT! For my first, I packed a HUGE suitcase with everything that I had been told to bring in my birthing class...I didn't even use half of it! Just bring the bare necessities: travel sized toiletries; change of clothes for you, baby, and husband; nursing bra, lansinoh, breast pads; snacks; comfy socks; burp cloth (the hospital provides blankets but not burp cloths); and anything you plan to use in your labor (birth ball, pillows, music, books, etc.). Try to pack everything in a small carry-on sized suitcase so that Ogg doesn't have to take multiple trips out to the car to get stuff when you are checking in. Oh, and bring your nursing pillow for sure...it will save you TONS of pain in your back and neck!

Hope this helps!

SCG said...

I tried a bunch of nursing bras and hated them all. I have just been using some comfortable sports bras. Wish I would have found a nursing bra that I liked though. I have heard that under wire in nursing bras can increase your risk of mastitis, at least that is what doctor told my sister and sister-in-law because they kept getting it. But I am sure it is different with everyone.

What I would take to the hospital is pretty much what everyone else has said... snacks (I didn't take any and was starving in the middle of the night), breast pads, nursing bra, lanolin, robe, socks.

Good luck with everything!