Sunday, January 31, 2010

On the Other Side of Things...

So I know I've turned into a stereotypical Mommy blogger where everything is about Hugh and how wonderful he is! And he is, don't get me wrong. I love the little dude. But let's have a reality check here...

This week has probably been the hardest week I've had since the first couple weeks after his birth. Hugh is a very fussy teether. All he wants is for me to hold him. It's a huge effort to get him to play on the floor, and even go in his jumperoo for long! Just that is exhausting, but then he decided to get a stomach bug.

Then I get the stomach bug. Luckily it was only 24 hours and luckily I have an amazing friend who came and took him for a few hours so I could rest. I honestly have no clue how I would've gotten through the day without her help. Even with a 24 hour bug though, there's still a day or two of tiredness where you still need to rest, right? Well I didn't get that luxury. Ogg decided to get sick so I get to become a Mom to two children.

So I've been going, going, going and then last night was a night straight from hell. Hugh has generally been having a hard time falling asleep (I'm guessing because of teething), but last night nothing worked. I tried nursing, rocking, tylenol, the swing...none of it worked. I finally had to let him cry for quite a while because there was nothing left to do! He slept for a few hours and then woke up at 2 (I had stupidly stayed up until 1 watching Friends). I did the usual feeding and went to put him down where he went totally postal. After 10 minutes of complete crazy I went in and did the normal calming, but he wasn't having it! After an hour of this I finally just picked him up and brought him in bed with us, where Ogg turned on the Australian Open tennis final and Hugh peacefully watched it laying on me for an hour when he finally fell asleep.

I've had quite the reality check this week and I'm a little depressed about it! I realized that I'm expected to take care of everything and everyone for the rest of my life with little or no thanks. I know it's grim and depressing, but I'm feeling grim and depressed right now. My 2 closest friends are skinny and gorgeous and fit into all their pre-pregnancy clothes while I'm still not. I try to be happy for them, but I'm seriously angry about it (at myself, not them). Every time I start a good workout routine, something happens to knock it off course. I also feel like I'm not an individual anymore. The only thing I had to define myself was dance, and that era ended 5 years ago. I don't do anything. No hobbies, no passions, no interests other than getting through the days. I'm content most days, but is content enough? I dunno. I'm just tired.

...And the baby's awake.

5 comments:

Emma said...

It's nice to know you aren't the only one being completely frustrated with life sometimes. It's hard work being happy and full of energy and a full time cook, cleaning lady, laundry doer, etc. AKA A MOTHER!

You do many wonderful things, right now it's hard to recognize them, so let me just tell you that you look amazing - skinnier than I'll ever be, you have a beautiful home and a husband and son who know they are loved by you. You give and give and in return they love you completely...even though sometimes a pay check was involved :) Hang in there, you'll get through the teething phase and life will get better. Plus spring will come and it will refresh us all!!!

blueeyedfreckle said...

I love when people post stuff like this. REAL feelings. usually blogs are just full of the cute things, but real life isn't always perfect. I def. feel your frustration; i feel the same way sometimes about how mundane my responsibilities can be. day in and day out for the rest of my life..... i think finding a hobby would help that though. sometimes my house is dirty (ok a lot of the time), but at least i know its because I did something I enjoyed that day (like sewed or felted or decorated). i think it really helps the psyche.

and girl, i've lost weight, but um, I am still not pre-preg weight, and you are prob. STILL skinnier than me!!!! i know its all relative though.

Lauren said...

Shannon you are beautiful and you are a fantastic mom! I hate crappy days. Being a mom is hard sometimes. Right now I'm struggling with Ethan's tantrums. And I know they're only going to get worse!

Luckily your little boy is so adorable that your hard feelings can't last for long!

bestofthebishops said...

Oh sweetie! I think all moms out there feel your pain. Pretty much, I say "amen" to all that you said. Way to be real. I hope this next week goes better for you!:) Don't stress too much about the weight thing. You are beautiful and Hugh doesn't care one bit if you still don't fit in your jeans. (He is darling by the way---love the videos of him!!)
Hang in there!
Have you ever tried the Hylands teething tablets? They have worked wonders for our boys. You can get them at Target or pretty much any grocery store.

Erin said...

Just so you know, every picture of you on here makes me sigh and think, I will never be able to look that great after I have a child.

But yeah, we may move out there! The school is in Chamblee, north of the city, so we'd be up there somewhere! I'll definitely keep you updated. . .