Friday, August 14, 2009

Outspoken

We've found that Hugh responds to music really well and he's starting to be interested in colorful shapes and toys. So the other day I put on the Baby Einstein dvd we have. He loved it! As a lot of us do, I shared my delight in him enjoying this on my facebook status and to my dismay, got a few negative responses regarding having the dvd on for him. Some came in the public form on my 'wall', and some came via email. I couldn't believe the nerve some people I haven't talked to in YEARS had to question my parenting abilities. I am well aware of the studies done saying that these kinds of dvds don't help your children learn earlier or faster. I am also aware that these studies say these can actually stunt development. Well, obviously that's going to happen if I stick Hugh in front of the tv for hours at a time and never interact with him! I turn it on once (maybe even twice...oooooh!) a day and let him listen/watch while he drifts off to sleep. Sometimes I'll sit next to him and talk about all the things we're seeing. I KNOW there is no harm in that.

I am a good mother. My child is not going to lack for opportunities to learn and grow. Having him listen to Mozart while watching colorful objects on the screen is not going to be detrimental to him. Good grief people. Unless you're one of my closest friends, or close family, or I specifically ask you...keep your opinions to yourself! I am not uneducated!

11 comments:

JAC, RUSS, ADDI AND PEY said...

You tell em Shan!! I TOTALLY agree with you!! They need to mind their own business! Its YOUR CHILD! And what you are doing is in no way "HARMFUL"! I hope all is well! I sure miss you! Love ya lots!

Clair said...

Sadly, I'm putting less and less on my facebook status or public blog b/c I'm so sick of people's rudeness. When I posted something about food, I majorly offended someone in our ward (who NEVER talks to me in the real world) and now it's all awkward. Geez....

I can't agree with you more. There is nothing wrong with the baby einstein dvds. My older kids watch cartoons here and there and Linc is in the background. I doubt he's even paying attention, but still....am I a bad mother because of having tv on at all?! And they're not even Mozart :)

Chelsea said...

people are lame...baby einstein is great for kids and all you have to do is watch them watch it to know that! don't let people bug you, they'll be sorry when Hugh is playing music like mozart and naming colors before their kids can even crawl.

emily and logan said...

River currently enjoys smiling and talking to an electrical socket in the wall above his changing table while i'm changing him. i'm not sure why he likes it so much, but i better not talk about it on facebook or people might think i'm not talking to him enough myself, eh?

Noell said...

My sister always played Baby Einstein for my nephew when he was a baby, she interacted with him while watching it just like you are doing and you know what? He's now 5 years old and WAY above the other kids his age... he is SO SMART!! Both she and I are certain that Baby Einstein helped with that! So, who the hell cares what other people are telling you... you keep doing what you're doing with Hugh and he'll be one smart boy!! :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you guys know, Hugh is so so cute! And, I actually like baby einstein, and I think that I learn when I watch it, so I am sure it is beneficial to the little ones :) Anybody who says otherwise, is dumb! Hope you guys are doing great, you are parents, that is so awesome, so excited for you guys!

AshleyS said...

my daughter started watching baby einstien dvds every so often at 4 months of age. she is way advanced in her speech and at 2 years old can name all the colors, has numerous songs and books memorized, and can count to 20. people ask me all the time how i am able to get her to sit so still in church and i'm really not trying to brag about my daughter here, i'm just saying that a little dvd or tv exposure will NOT affect your child's cognitive development, i think it helps them learn to sit still and pay attention to something. i have a friend who told me she thinks it's so bad that i let my kid watch tv before she was 2, and guess whose 2 year old talks in complete sentences and whose just barely began putting 2 words together...the tv watcher is more advanced! heaven forbid. i can't believe people left comments like that on your FB.

Jill said...

Wow! Who knew baby einstein would be under attack..hehe. I know I gave you a baby einstein dvd, so you know I love them, and seriously...they are babies...they just sit there and sleep most of the day or cry. The music is so soothing for mom and baby, and I just think people need to relax.

Lauren said...

Hmmm.. Not only do I think listening to music and looking at bright colors is healthy, I also think it's good for mom to get a little break every once in a while too. Ethan loves a little 20 minute video that shows animals and has fun songs. Those 20 minutes help me to rejuvenate and get a needed break. Who would think you were a bad enough mother to let your child sit in front of the tv for hours and tell you about it on facebook? Seriously.

Kar said...

The nerve of people. You know how Facebook has a 'poke' button? Well, they need a 'punch' button for those kind of people.

mrs. farlanderz said...

I know! I can't believe how fast people will tell you what to do regarding your baby! a complete stranger came up to taylor when kingston was crying for like a second the other day and tried to put his binky in!!! I was like - um no! what the!