****EDITED TO ADD:****
A friend posted this on his facebook and I wholeheartedly agree with this. I still stand by being open to a reform, but these are some of the reasons I'm concerned:
Obama's health care plan was written by a committee whose head says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it, signed by a president who smokes, funded by a treasury chief who did not pay his taxes, overseen by a surgeon general who... is obese, and financed by... a country that is nearly broke. Why should I be worried?
****I know that the bill still has to get through a few more steps to become 'for sure', but last night it seems as if a universal health care reform is on the way in the United States. I'm in the middle with this, but mostly because I can't get any clear answers in how this is going to happen or how it's going to affect me and my children.
I have a husband who came from a country where universal health care is the norm, so I'm probably more exposed to how it COULD be than most Americans.
So here's my opinion on what little I have been able to find out:
I am open to a reform.
I am wary of the way it's being presented.
I feel like this hasn't been completely thought through logistically.
So, everyone is going to be required to have healthcare and if they don't, they'll be fined like $3000. But the thing is, if they can't afford the healthcare, how are they supposed to afford the $3000?
Thank goodness they decided not to have abortions covered.
I seriously am just REALLY baffled by all of this. I've been doing research for about an hour now trying to get my questions answered and I can't find anything! It's very frustrating that there isn't a blow-by-blow schedule of how this is going to happen. I need some answers!
3 comments:
Umm...yeah. I agree. Does *something* need to be done about health care? Yes! Is *this* the way to do it? I don't think so - not with closed door meetings, etc to secure votes and absolutely NO bipartisan support. I think it's great about the no pre-existing conditions excluding people (esp. children) from getting insurance, but I think they bit off more than they can chew and that parts of it may be ugly! I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out in the next...few years
I know that one of the things that will be happening in the next 6 months is that insurance companies won't be able to deny those with pre-existing conditions. the news told us a few other things that would be happening in the near future right after it was announced but I can't remember which things they were. the full out plan supposedly won't be in effect til 2014 which sucks for me, because it would have meant I could afford insurance that covered pregnancy. when it does play out it will be better because I can find plans in other states that have competitive rates, etc. right now I am limited to the really crappy selection of private insurance that costs an arma and a leg and has huge deductibles. there will be more competition in years to come because people will be able to shop around better. by then I will be on tri-care (military) so it won't even matter. BUT I do support this legislation and I think it is sad that the republicans are so incredibly close-minded and self-centered that they couldn't even vote on something so monumentally important to the people of this nation. Franc read something that Republicans have historically never been behind any of the ground-breaking legislation that has happened in this country.
oh and fyi Franc went to the government senators and reps last week and talked to some of them about reform and our state, asking them to raise taxes on cigarettes (because that money would go to paying for things like medcaid and medicaire----right now GA has the LOWEST taxes on cigarettes in the country) and the REPUBLICAN senator told franc that "that would be a bad idea because then medicaid would cover more people and we wouldn't have enough doctors for that. Then he said plus, then more people might be healthy (from preventing sickness) and that would be less business for you/doctors" obviously he used more eloquent language but I can't remember exact words. do you think that THAT line of thinking is correct????? good health Is BAD BUSINESS?????? that is often the way our good ol' boys/repubs. think. anyway, I am just putting my 2 cents in, but I hope I haven't offended you.
I am not saying this whole plan is perfect, but I do see a lot of good in it, and it is THE biggest reason I voted for Obama. I think it is important to change our crappy healthcare/ insurance system. If this is how it begins then so be it. I am sure the kinks can be worked out as things play out and are tried an tested.
wow that was long.
Post a Comment