A post from the parental visit will follow shortly. But first...
My question of the week.
I'm starting to get pretty concerned about how this whole extreme budgeting thing is going to work. You see, going from TWO incomes down to ONE income equals a lot less money!
What I'm trying to figure out are ways to save money, ways to cook cheap but still eat well. I'd really prefer not to eat pasta and potatoes for the rest of my life.
So, what's your take? What do you live without? How do you save on grocery bills? Or do most of you mothers (or mothers-to-be, or future-mothers-who-already-have-their-life-together-unlike-me) work part or full time to help in this way?
PS...We OWE the tax man this year! How the heck did that happen??
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Question of the week
Posted by
Shanicherie
at
11:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Are you ready for this?
1. breast Feed - it's a no brainer, I unfortunately had to stop after one month, and formula is $$$
2. Make your own baby food when she/he starts to eat solids. 1 bag of frozen corn costs 2.50 and makes 20 containers (gerber size containers) so you save 7.50 because each set of baby food is 1.00 give or take if you buy it.
3. Plan out your meals before shopping for food. I try to plan 16 meals, carrying over some of the foods. Ex. Grilled chicken with rice and salad, Chicken Enchiladas, Hawaiian Haystacks = 3 meals all with chicken.
4. Avoid eating out. We try to go twice a month.
5. Choose a hairstyle that is easy to maintain without costing a ton, and if you really want, cut your hubby's hair. Jason gets his cut every 5 weeks, and it's $15 a cut, but now I just do it.
6. Buy clothes after the season. I bought Haley tons of Christmas clothing before she was even born. I had to estimate her size at six months, but I got 10 outfits for $6 total. By the time December came along, she was outfitted. Obviously you can't do this until you know what you are having, but once you find out, shop the sales off season.
we still haven't figured that one out! haha. i work part time from home and that helps, but we are living off of student loans right now. not something i'd recommend.
on another note, i noticed that you have my cousins linked on your "sites that inspire" list. The first 2 blogs. Small world.
Emma nailed all the big ones. Nurse if you can. Van is a bottle-fed boy. His formula is about $125 a month. That is a ton.
Plan your meals to a T each week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
One thing I found that really helped with saving money was taking really good care of our clothes. It may sound weird, but think about how easy it is to toss a shirt because it shrunk or has a stain. Hand-wash delicates, scrub out stains and line dry cheaper clothes.
Post a Comment