Monday, January 14, 2008

Georgia Aquarium

My mom came out this weekend to visit us and to see where we're living. It's been pretty boring for the poor woman, cause I have no idea where I'm going or what's around the area, so we decided to go down to Atlanta to see the Georgia Aquarium. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest aquarium in the world! It was huge! Like going to Disneyland...except for all the fun rides. Haha. So we were there for probably about three hours, there was SO much to see, but we managed to do it all! The jellyfish below were in one of the first displays. They had put this amazing bright blue backdrop/light behind them to light them up. This picture doesn't even come close to how brilliant they looked! It was very peaceful to watch them floating around. But then I remembered how much it hurt when I stepped on one and I got mad at them and left. So take a look at a few of the awesome pictures we took!
Do you see that big fat monster fish behind me? It really made me realize that obesity it everywhere! (I promise, that was meant to be funny, not ditzy).
I was brave enough to touch some of the slimy things. This happened to be just a starfish. But I also touched a sting ray and a little teeny tiny shark!
Oggy and I with one of the three gorgeous beluga whales behind us. There was a mom and her daughter, and then one male in there. They purposely put two females in there for a male to choose as his mate, and the woman who was commentating was so funny. She said, "Of course, typical male...he chose the younger woman!" She also told us that they frequently "mate" while lots of people are there watching. She then prompted the parents to explain that to their children later.
My mom and I with the beluga posing in the background.
It's a piranha! It was so creepy...there were hundreds of them and they all just floated in the water completely still. Like, COMPLETELY still. I kept wanting a biologist to throw something in the water to see how crazy they get over food!
This is the tank where Ogg and I touched sharks and rays. They would swim right by you and you could stick only two fingers in to touch them. Very strict. And they would yell at people who would try to grab more of them.
This is my husband. Right before a shark bit his hand off.
Just kidding.
It's a ray!! They were so slimy and super smooth.
It's the monster turtle! He liked attention from people I think, because he would just swim right up against the glass and wouldn't leave.
My favorite part of the whole aquarium were the sea lions they had outside. We happened to walk out at a perfect time because they were going to feed them in like ten minutes. So we waited and were in the front row, literally right in front of their feeding place. When they came out to feed them, the sea lions were adorable! They are VERY smart animals and are trained wonderfully! Apparantly, the two darker ones had been rescued from San Diego, rehabilitated and set free again out there, and then the next year they were all emaciated again, so they brought them back here to live permanently. They seem to love it and they are adorable! I decided I want one of them instead of a dog. Ogg thinks that sounds childish, but I'm in love with them! I'm going to see if I can upload some videos of them feeding. It's so cute!

2 comments:

emily and logan said...

um, in the pic with you and ogg, there's some dude behind you staring at your butt. ogg needs to punch that guy out.

okay so i figured out the pictures, but i still can't figure out how to post other blogs on my blog as a link!! could it be that i chose a weird format that doesn't let you? or am i just dumb?

Kirk said...

Hi,

Aunt Sharon… I hope you are having a nice visit. From what I understand the Atlanta Aquarium is the best in the Nation. Do they still have the Whale Shark in the main Aquarium? At one time I think they had two, but they were having trouble keeping the behemoths alive.

Cheers