A couple of days ago, I was very excited to receive a package in the mail from good ole amazon.com. It's always fun to receive packages, even if you've bought them yourself, right!? I ripped open the packaging and was giggling like a little child as I lifted up my precious books (there might as well have been angelic music and a slow motion camera going) and fought the temptation to hug them fiercely! My husband looked on while rolling his eyes and wondering why I feel the need to buy books because it's a waste of money. "You only read them once", he said. Ooooh honey...I beg to differ!
I love books. Always have, always will. I sort of had to fend for myself when I was little, because my closest sibling is thirteen years older than I am! I learned how to entertain myself in the form of reading, starting at 3 years old (another story for another day, but quite amusing) and loved the comics. Peanuts, in particular. That quickly moved onto short stories, then novels. My love for reading has never stopped growing and I have read every single book I own more than 3 times!
Because I read SO many books during my formative years, I have quite the library collection. I wasn't one to collect cd's or dvd's (even though my husband thinks I have a lot, I DONT! He should check out my cousins Meredith and Courtney's collections!!)...all my father's hard earned money, and my sparsely collected money went to buying my absolute favorite books (I have a LOT).
Back to the present.
My husband doesn't understand why I have this need to actually purchase books and add them to my collection. I do it because I'm in LOVE with reading. I do it because I think it's a habit worth funding. I do it because it relaxes me. I do it because I don't get my hair cut every 6 weeks (more like every 6 months), and I definitely don't dye it. I do it because I rarely get manicures or pedicures; I'm pretty good at managing our money and I think I should be able to indulge myself every once in a while. I can snuggle next to him while he plays video games, and I'm totally content! And what husband wouldn't want an easily contented wife when all it takes is a few books to keep her happy!?
I rest my case.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Money waster
Posted by
Shanicherie
at
1:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
So, what books did you get? And have you ever heard of goodreads.com? It's a fabulous way to keep track of your favorite books and to find other good books to read.
Yes, I aint gonna lie, I have tons of music! Yet, my book collection is growing more and more lately. I think it's a great thing to indulge yourself in. Especially if you're reading about hot vanpires! :)
Good arguement. I love books too. So here is a question...since you love reading so much what is/are your favorite book/s?
Agreed! Man you are easy to please! Books are awesome and especially as your family grows, you will be glad you have them I'm sure. What a cool thing to pass on to your kids- a love of reading!
Oh Shannon, I should just send Ross right over to this post.
I COMPLETELY agree.
i couldn't agree more! in my mind (and sounds like in yours too) there is NOTHING better at the end of a long day than curling up with a good book.
Books definitely don't count against the budget. I mean, they're books!! And you can never have too many of those. Buy away, my friend!! :)
Books before CDs any day. I also have an obsession with books and don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Amazon is our friend!
I wish I had your passion for reading. I set a goal to read a book a month this year and so far it is going great. Hopefully it will help me to gain a love of books as well!
Post a Comment