Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Question of the week

As I contemplate how to furnish and decorate my baby's nursery, one question has been on the forefront of my mind:

WHAT DO I SAVE ON, AND WHAT DO I SPLURGE ON?

So I would like your opinions, my dear friends. This is what I've heard so far (and what my pregnancy brain can remember):

*Save on the crib as much as you can, as long as it's sturdy and had good reviews.

*Spend on the mattress. Baby needs to be comfy. Un-comfy baby=sleepless nights!

Umm...yeah, that might be it. Pretty lame list, huh? So please help educate me! Thanks!

8 comments:

AshleyS said...

splurge--comfy rocker/recliner (you will live in it the first few weeks), and a good jogging stroller

save--changing tables are pointless, just make the top of your dresser into the changing table until baby starts to roll over when it's easier to just change them on the floor.

Emma said...

I splurged on my crib mattress, and bedding. Go to libbylanedesigns.com and check out how cute Anne's stuff is. It's the best quality too.

I didn't have a good rocking chair, and I totally wish I did. I am definitely getting a good one next time.

I saved on my entire furniture set...if you can get a whole set go for it, sometimes it's cheaper than buying individual items. And for room decor...go simple and cheap, babies don't notice the details. Simple is great.

Emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg and Mel said...

changing table is a waste of money! I got a swing but only durban liked it. The carseat/stroller combo's are very nice and convenient!

Anderson Family said...

This time I'm hoping to splurg on a new comfy chair! Not a wood rocking chair... I'm talking about a soft comfy recliner you'll see in most mothers rooms at church. That is one thing I totally want!

Changing tables are useless. I honestly never used mine. The floor was fine and dandy for me.

Shauna said...

I hate to get personal, but if you plan on breastfeeding, invest in a breast pump. That way when you and Ogg want to go out you'll have some milk saved in storage so your baby will continue to get the "good stuff"! Yes, I'm a total advocate for breastfeeding...Not to mention it helps you lose those post-pregnancy pounds a little faster.

emily and logan said...

there are some really cute, really inexpensive cribs at Ikea, if you're wanting to save on a crib.

Laurel said...

If you're looking to save:
-Skip the expensive bed sets and matching room decor. Baby doesn't know the difference. I bought white sheets and an inexpensive bumper from target.
-Changing table is pointless. Floor and couch works just fine.
-A diaper champ--not a diaper genie. You don't need special bags for the champ and it works just fine. AND you can do it one-handed. We love ours.
-Kids don't need a lot of toys. Lincoln would rather play with tupperware than his cool toys. Get a few things, but don't go over board.

Must-haves:
-Pajamas with zippers. I think snaps can be drafty and when you're tired and baby is wiggly, snaps take way too long.
-A good chair. I wish I had one.
-I agree with your friend Shauna-a good pump. A good one can increase your milk flow, provide baby with milk when you're not around, and you can build up a store of milk for when you're done feeding or baby gets teeth--whichever comes first!
-Buy the good breast pads. I liked the Lansinoh ones. When you're out and about and you start leaking cause you're full, you'll be glad you're not stuck in some itchy, less-than-absorbant pad.

If I think of any others I let you know!