Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I hate titling posts.

Okay, so I realized that I didn't really write anything about what happened with my surgery and I guess I might as well update ya'll (that's the first time I've ever said ya'll! I just wanted to see how it rolled off the tongue...or...keyboard).

So...I went in to get the dang surgery and they tried to hook me up to an IV. Five times. My bloody veins (no pun intended) were too small for their liking. They kept trying to put the needle into thicker veins so it would be more secure, and I don't have many of those I guess! It took the TRAINED drug dude 35 minutes to attempt to get the IV in me and did not succeed. Obviously, this wouldn't be a pleasant experience for anyone. If you've ever had an IV put in you, you know it doesn't feel particularly fabulous. Times that by 5 and that's what I was dealing with. I had calmed myself down mentally/emotionally and I'm pretty proud of myself for dealing with it. I was so focused on not having an anxiety attack that I didn't ever think to myself, "Hm. Maybe I don't have to take this crappy service that's being given to me." I've had quite a few people tell me they would've been outta there twenty minutes before they stopped! Haha. So the oral surgeon finally comes in and is all surprised that he hasn't gotten it in me and basically tells the guy to move over and he does it.

**SIDE NOTE: All of my worst bruising is from the "professional guy". I have almost no bruising from the IV where the dentist put it in!**

By this time, I'm still mentally stable, but (in my own opinion) my body went into some sort of protective-shock sort of thing. My fingers went tingly then numb and same with my knees and stomach. This has happened to me twice in my life and they both ended in small seizures so I was getting a little more nervous. The weird part of this was that I was not freaking out! Just my body, by itself was! They decided to get some Valium-type stuff into me to see if it would calm me down. I was out of it after that, but from what they tell me, they were watching my heart rate to see if it would go down and it never did. There were also some strange "trends" with it. It looks like I have something that only old people get! Ha. Heart of an elderly person, great!

Conclusion: The surgeon refused to do the surgery when my heart was going nuts. He wants the ok from a cardiologist first. So now I have an appointment on July 1st. Let's just get it over with, huh?

On a happy note, two weeks from today I will be preparing to leave for my family's vacation in Carpinteria, California (near Santa Barbara) for an entire blessed week! Hallelujah!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Eeeww! I HATE getting IVs. HATE. I feel so sorry for you! I also have teeny veins apparently and so it takes them forever too. But my body doesn't go into shock! I hope next time goes better. (If there is a next time.) I've decided I'm putting off getting my wisdom teeth out indefinitely.

Kar said...

I used to hate getting IV's/shots, but now I kind of like it. It releases tension in me. I sound like a druggie, I know. I promise I'm not.

P.S. I hate titling posts as well. All mine are just song titles that have nothing to do with the blog content.

cat+tadd=sam said...

Ha, did you forget that while you were recovering from your Valium you already told this story in a previous post!

Shanicherie said...

Yeah but it wasn't very detailed! Geez! Have some love!