I know this is very nosy, but I'm really, really curious because I feel like this is quite an expensive ordeal and I need to know we're not being cheated!
How much did your baby's birth cost you?
I feel like we've got okay insurance...they cover 70%. Pretty standard, I think. But I just got the quote from the hospital we're delivering at...
For a regular birth the average cost is $10,900 (we'd have to pay about $3270)
For a c-section the average cost is $16,000 (we'd have to pay about $4800)
Is this a super expensive hospital, or is that just about what you had to pay as well? How the crap do people have babies while in school still, or just above the poverty level? I feel like we make plenty of money for our little family and that's quite a large sum of money!
Sorry, just venting...
Friday, April 10, 2009
Question of the week
Posted by
Shanicherie
at
11:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Babies are expensive! Before my husband started dental school we had a few thousand saved up to pay the deductible I would have to pay if I got pregnant whiel on my company's health insurance. When he went back to school, I got on his student plan and I have to say, although our premiums are costly the cost of havinga baby makes up for it. For all 9 months of doctor's appts. and for the delivery and hospital stay (even if c-section) my deductible is only $400. But that's very uncommon, just thought I'd answer your question on how students have babies.
dang, that is a lot of money! we'll have to save up just to have a baby. but i totally agree, we make OK money and are both out of school and that's a lot! i swear students have 3-4 kids without a problem.
Rocco cost us $3500 and we had 80/20 insurance. Avery cost us about $1000 and Linc cost $220 for the whole thing, but have an HMO. It just varies so much.
okay, first of all, some student health plans cover almost everything (I don't think you had to pay much of anything with BYU's health plan). Second of all...several students with kids are an Medicaid so we pay for it. I know there are also others who can pay for it all themselves...but that's my opinion.
Our insurance covers everything that happens when you're admitted to the hospital and we have to pay a nightly hospital fee for the first 3 nights and then the rest is covered (if our stay is longer than that). For TYler our hospital fee was $200/night. This year the hospital fee is $350/night. So if we're there for 3 days or more it will cost us $1050. Ty cost us $600.
Now, I'm really glad about our whole - everything is covered when you're admitted to the hospital part of our plan because when Tyler was getting diagnosed we were there for 10 days, they did TONS of procedures and labs and the total bill was $85,000 or something...our portion...$600! =)
Let's see, after all was said and done, we paid the hospital a total of $6,400. That includes all the prenatal care too. Then you have all the shots, and doctor's checkups, and hopefully all goes well and your baby never gets sick...yeah...lucky if that's the case. But it's all worth every dang penny, don't you worry. Oh, and next year you'll get a tax deductible of I think $1,000.00 so ya know, it is frustrating, but it's life.
Insurance totally does vary a ton. For Lily my hubby had AWESOME insurance....like seriously awesome. I paid one $25 copay. Period. (We thought we had to pay another $200 at the hospital, but like 6 months later they refunded it...still don't know why.) But since Dave has quit that job we've had to shop around for individual insurance and it's pricey!
I do have one suggestion. AFLAC! They're awesome. You can have it on top of your regular insurance and they sent checks straight to you. Check into it, I wish I had last time!
Sorry this is long! Good luck!
What. the. crap? That's how much a baby costs?!
I'm speechless.
How do people manage to pay that?
I'm seriously blown away.
So I was really curious about this also so I called the hospital here in the billing department to see what the average charges were. UVRMC charges about 6,000 for a vaginal delivery with epidural and 10,000+ for C-section depending on complications. Granted this doesn't include the physician's bill for the monthly visits. I would say that 70% coverage is kinda crappy. My insurance is really good though and covers 100% of physician and 90% of hospital. The gal in the billing department says that she bills $1200 on average for a normal birth with an 80/20 plan. I have no idea how people without insurance pay for a baby I guess there are ways but it is not cheap!
Van was expensive as hell. But since we have insurance, doctors and hospitals are quite flexible about payment plans. Like $20-$50 a month. For example, Van's hospital bill won't be paid off until he is 6. Yipee.
We are really lucky and have STELLAR insurance through Dave's company cause it's owned by another enormous world-wide company. Lincoln's birth bill was close to $17,000 but our insurance contractual adjustment brings that down to around $11,000. Our hospital stay copay is $250 and since having a baby is considered a "hospital stay" to our insurance company, that's all we paid.
Be aware:
--They may have quoted you just the price for the birth itself. There's more to it. Supplies can rack up your bill. Some hospitals charge for every pill, glove, diaper, etc that is brought to your room. If I were paying more than our flat $250 rate, I'd have been more aware of all the unnecessary extras. One of the nurses was awesome and let me know about the charges--"You know, I could bring you more of these witch hazel pads, but they'll be cheaper for you at rite-aid."
--Hugh may have his own bills. Lincoln's were about $2,400 before the insurance adjustment (our $250 covered it though).
--If you have any anesthesia (epidural), it may be billed seperately. Mine was about $1,800.
Come over to England. It would cost you $FREE.99
Well, the tickets would cost ya. But it'd probably still be less.
That sucks. We are with BYU so it hardly cost anything but I agree with the comment about being billed for every pill etc. All in all though I would say don't worry about it. It will totally work out and worrying will just make you stress out and have a harder experience. That's the number one thing I've heard from my friends, "I wish I wouldn't have stressed about so much stuff!" Enjoy it, and relax, you'll figure out the rest.
Post a Comment