Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Letters to Baby...week 35

My dearest stubborn child,
The past month has been pretty difficult as I've gotten more and more uncomfortable, braved a trip to Florida, did Disneyworld for 3 days, had increasing back pain, started setting up your room...and the kicker? I have just found out that you are lying in a transverse position in me. Most babies are head down at this point, ready to come out the normal way. Some babies stay head up, which is called breech. But you, my unique little one...you decided to lie horizontally across my insides. This presents a little bit of a problem seeing as this makes natural birth physically impossible and only leaves me the option of a c-section. The doctor tells me there's a small chance you may turn on your own and you have 10 days to do so, so get somersaultin' baby boy! Next week they'll check to see if you did it on your own, and if not, they want to do what's called an "external cephalic version", where they manually turn you around. I've done the research about it, and I don't really feel comfortable doing this when there's only a 58% chance of it working (not to mention the agony of the procedure, which I'm told is WORSE than childbirth), and if you go into distress I have to have an emergency c-section on the spot! So I think I'm going to go all hippie on everyone and refuse. Instead, I'll go to my chiropractor who will do something to relax my muscles so you might turn by yourself...this has a 75-95% success rate and is painless and it won't bother you. I hope you're okay with that, but do you know what I really want? I want you to turn all by yourself sweetheart. Can you do that for me? Please?
On a lighter note, both your Dad and I are starting to get really excited to meet you! We can't believe that you're almost here. It seems like it's just a dream! But then I look down and see my stomach doing the wave and I realize you ARE in there and I get excited again! I'm really wimpy when it comes to having energy to do anything more than breathing now, so I'm going to do some yoga, hang out on my hands and knees and hope you turn all by yourself! I love you!
Your mom!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Shannon you are so cute! I love this letter to Hugh! Maylee was not transverse but facing the wrong way so they went in manually and turned her and seriously it was PAINFUL! Way worse than labor and delivery so for your sake I will pray that he moves on his own. :)

Amanda said...

You were smart to do some research and not just blindly obey everything the doctor told you. Good luck with everything!

Nickell said...

Kade was transverse too up until like 39.5 weeks. Don't worry, yet.

cat+tadd=sam said...

I'm proud to say I was the first baby in Utah that doctors tried an external cephalic version on. My mom said it was pretty painful, but it did the trick!