Okay, the echo results are back. All is well...nothing to be too concerned about. But I learned something new today and thought you might like to join in! I have what's called a prolapse in one of my heart valves. I researched it a bit and this is what I came up with...
Mitral valve prolapse is when one or both of the valve flaps are faulty. When the heart contracts or pumps, the mitral valve flaps do not close smoothly or evenly. Instead, part of one or both flaps collapses backward into the left atrium. This sometimes allows a small amount of blood to leak backward through the valve and may cause a heart murmur.
So, basically...one of my 'flaps' doesn't open and close straight. It buckles each time it contracts, but it's no big deal. They said stay away from caffeine, alcohol and smoking (...not a problem; love that good ole Word of Wisdom!) and to lower my stress amounts as much as possible.
Hmm...any suggestions for that since I DREAM about stress? Oh well. Good to know. Now time to move onto (or BACK to) my dang wisdom teeth. I swear, we're never going to have a baby at this rate!
4 comments:
I think Steven has this same thing!
I'm glad you got your results back and they're nothing too serious. I've been interested to see what the dr's said about you since your symptoms sound so similar to mine. I have a cardio appt next week. My brother just had open heart surgery because his flap was really messed up and never closed correctly so his leak got to be around 50%, which can cause permanent heart damage - so they replaced the valve. Craziness.
Not serious? Why am I the only one that feels like this is dangerous! You should never leave your house, you'll be in danger! In fact, don't get out of bed! I'm worried for you!
Hey Shannon...I have the same thing. They found it with an echo before my mission. They said the same thing. No big deal and it's a common problem. But every time I go to have dental work done, I have to make sure they give me a pill so that bacteria won't get into my heart.
I had my appointment to get my wisdom teeth out a couple of weeks before leaving and I too had it postponed because of this problem. I had to take it a couple of hours before I went. So I ended up getting them out the week I left for the MTC...not fun. I was still swollen when I went in lol. But all went well. I haven't had any problems with it. I get occasional chest pains...but I don't know that has anything to do with it. They didn't seem to think so. I think I might have GERD.
ANYWAYS>>>> all that just to put your mind at ease. glad you were able to find out what it was.
Post a Comment