So yesterday as I was browsing dozens of blogs, one in particular caught my eye. It wasn't anyone I know...a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend most likely (you know how blog surfing goes...). But it really opened my eyes and made me realize how ungrateful and naive I have been.
History:
Growing up, neither me OR my parents had health insurance. If we needed anything, we were lucky enough that they could just pay for it out of pocket. And thankfully, none of us ever needed anything other than basic care. I do realize how blessed we have all been to have healthy bodies. So needless to say, I have not had much experience with insurance. Once I began studying at BYU, I was forced to have insurance (which I also used minimally...just for physical therapy for my headaches and the usage of cheap birth control). It was all included in tuition, etc so I never paid enough attention to understand how it worked and how cheap it was.
The Present:
The company my husband works for is wonderful. The pay isn't amazing, but the perks are unbelievably helpful. For example: Ogg gets a nice, free car, free gas and free car insurance. They pay for our internet and most of our cell phone bill. We occasionally get free juice and dressings. And to top it all off, we both get free medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Well, mostly free. Apparantly, we have to pay the first $300 per year and then we're covered 80% after that. But the main thing is, we don't have a monthly payment to make. I thought that was the case for most people. But as I was reading this strangers blog, I realized this is not so. I looked at the comments made about this blog (there were over 30). Almost every single person on there mentioned that they were paying $200-$600 per month to be covered!
Only two days before I read this blog, I was complaining to my husband about that $300 we have to pay YEARLY. I cannot believe how naive I was. Ogg and I are two very lucky people and I am SO grateful we don't have to pay the big bucks for the reassurance that we're okay.
I hope you all are as lucky as Ogg and I are. And I hope that blog I read was out of the ordinary and you all work for companies who take care of you too! Please restore my faith in the goodness of people! Are you all okay out there, blogger friends?!

6 comments:
Shannon,
Kathlene and I pay $150 a month for both of us on HMO coverage. If we had a PPO it would be $400.00 a month. We decided to stay with my insurance here at S&Y for the fact that through her school district it would cost $600.00 a month for herself. The School Dist. does not offer medical insurance, so she would have to pay for her own...
P.S. those prices quoted above are just for Medical. Dental, Vision are an additional expense.
Wow reality, what a concept...
Yer cuz
Haha! We pay $300 per month and that's with my company paying half! Can you believe that?!!! And it's not like we can't have it, what if something happens?!!!
We own our own business and so prices are totally through the roof and we don't have insurance on Greg and I. The kids have been on CHIP for the past couple years, but it just expired so I need to get them covered again. I just don't see how paying $600 a month is any better than paying for things ourselves.
We pay a pretty penny - but we don't really realize it. It comes out of Phil's pay check every pay period (probably close to $400-$600 a month or something) but then our coverage is pretty good.
oh - and his work pays that much or more. But let's be honest, our health insurance has paid close to $100,000 for Tyler in the last 8 months (or maybe more now) so, we can't complain too much
You big jerk! You're so ungrateful! We get a steal of a deal as well. We pay $20 a month for AWESOME coverage. Love it!
Post a Comment