Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lucky Girl


The picture above is a dramatization of my morning. Okay, so it didn't roll down into water, BUT...I dragged myself out of bed this morning to get ready for work. I thought in my head "Hmm..I wonder if there's any frost on my windows". So I peeked out the blinds and I thought I was still sleeping. My car was in the MIDDLE of the road, between the two rows of parked cars. It looked like it was right up against another car and I was SO worried I was going to have my first insurance claim on my hands. It's a fairly steep driveway we park on, and last night I had parked on the higher bit. I was thinking to myself, "Did I honestly not put the e-brake on? Am I that dumb?" But I kept thinking that I knew I put the brake on! I really knew! So as my husband gives me this very disappointed look, I run out the door, down to the parking lot, expecting to see a very large dent in both of our cars.
Much to my surprise, my car is about 2 feet away from the other car still! I am absolutely baffled! I get in the car to find that the e-brake is pulled up about HALF WAY! So I, still completely bewildered, get in the car and re-park it, making sure I pull the e-brake up as high as it will go.
I truly cannot believe how lucky I was! And it makes me wonder how slowly my car creeped backwards! Was it an all night thing? Did no one see it? Did no one care? All I can say is that I'm embarrassed to go home tonight and I just hope that no one gives me a hard time! I feel very blessed that nothing happened to my car or any other cars!

6 comments:

Heather Dayton said...

That totally happened to me in high school. The e-brake failed and my car slipped backwards. It wen off of about an 8 foot hilly area to the side of the driveway - so my car was pretty banged up, but it ended up not needing too much work - we didn't fix all the dents & scratches - and luckily it didn't hit any other cars. It is super scary though - you should get it checked to make sure your e-brake is still working right.

P.S. Thanks for the advice...I'm definitely hugging my husband a LOT! And I love ice cream :)

cat+tadd=sam said...

You could've been KILLED! What a relief!

Misty said...

that happened to someone else's car and it ran into ours. Ours was old and not worth keeping and a box of steel - so there was no damage! =) But - way to go! =)

mrs. farlanderz said...

Hola Shannon - the open house for Amy's friends will be on Friday March 28th I know you can't make it but amy would still love to get in touch with you!- if possible, could you please email your contact info as well as jamie and danny's to amywest.homecoming@hotmail.com so we can send invites and she can get in touch with you? - Thanks!

Jamie said...

I got some of the information about her homecoming but will you just email me ALL of it and the contact email... My email is jhyde16@gmail.com thanks Shannon. Are you coming to Utah for it?

Kirk said...

Lucky girl… You are a lucky girl.

Shannon I don’t know if you remember my moms old Toyota Van we had when she lived in Danville. The street they lived on was very steep and opened up onto a major though fare. However she woke up one morning to find her van missing. It turned out that it had rolled down the street through the main highway and up the bank on the far side.

By some miracle the van had missed everything on the road. All the parked cars any cross traffic any pedestrians, just missed everything but the bank.

Maybe one of these days you should ask her to tell you the story. It is much better when told in person. You will piss your pants laughing. It’s such a Penny story, because, as you know she is a bit of a “Ding Bat”.