I will finally tell the tale of how I became unemployed last Thursday evening. I know you have all been waiting on the edge of your seats to find out.
I found this job through a temp agency. So I wasn't an official employee of the company-that-shall-remain-nameless...yet. I had gone through two interviews and my paperwork was being drawn up to be signed on Thursday to become an official employee. Everything was fine and dandy until I embarked on my drive home after work...
That's when Moesha* (*names have been changed to protect identities, although I don't really care about her identity. Just trying to 'learn my lesson' here.), my contact at the temp agency called me. I could tell by the tone of her voice something wasn't quite right. Then she started lecturing me like I was her child. She told me that my company had found my personal (note the word PERSONAL) blog and read it. They were now concerned that I didn't like my job and was only there for the money.
Now, I'm pretty sure MOST people don't LOVE their jobs and are there for the money. Pretty sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sorry if I don't love being a receptionist. Not exactly what I got a degree from BYU for.
Anyway... she even stooped so low as to compare me to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. She said that when she thought of Shannon, she thought apple pie, but then THIS (gasp!) happened and changed her opinion of me. After all of this, she had not said anything about getting fired. I was just thinking, "Oh great, now I'm going to have to go in and awkwardly apologize and they're all going to be mad at me. Just great." But then she told me in a very abrupt way, "They were all ready to hire you, way before they would usually hire anyone. They loved you! And then you go and do this. Well, effective immediately, they have gone back on their decision and decided you are no longer needed." My jaw dropped and I literally had nothing to say to her. I was absolutely shocked! I know I'm a temp, and they can fire me at will, but I couldn't believe someone would fire me over something personal that I wrote! Yes, it's on the world wide web, which means that the whole wide world can read it, but it's still a personal blog! I didn't say anything specific about the company, I didn't name names...and to be honest, I would've said anything I wrote straight to any of their faces. That would not have bothered me in the least, because I don't think I said anything in an 'attacking' sort of way.
So I am totally baffled about this.
At first, I was really shocked and hurt and confused. But luckily, Ogg and I were headed down to Savannah for the weekend to promote his company, so we were able to escape and have some fun down there and let me cool down.
I have come to this conclusion:
They've done me a favor.
I have been starting to get depressed lately. Some things have happened in my life that have made me sad. Some physical, some very emotional, and I was also quite upset about where I was working. I know I didn't go to college to be a receptionist. I know I MUST be able to get a better job than that, right?! I mean, I might get paid less (I can't believe how much they paid me to do nothing there), but at least I'll enjoy it right? I know I can find a job that I will be able to be productive at, that people will smile at me and appreciate me and maybe I can even make a difference for some people. This has given me the motivation to find this better job. My only dilemma is that I don't know where to start! My ultimate job would be to become a therapist. But that requires at least a Master's degree, which I don't have the funding for. If anyone was going to get a Master's right now, it would be Ogg. So does anyone have any suggestions for a girl who has a lot of experience in retail, and a little experience in administrative assistance?
Monday, April 7, 2008
And now...the very long story...
Posted by
Shanicherie
at
8:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard! I am so sorry for that whole experience!! I hope you are doing better, and that the job search will be good!! Just think of it-no more answering angry people's phone calls!! I will pray for you to find a job that you enjoy!
Hey Shannon - that sucks! I don't really have a solution but I'll say that I got hired as a receptionist too when i graduated and I felt the same way "is this really why I went to college?" So...something better will turn up. Sorry!
Hey Shannon, I also had a horrible Administrative job right when I graduated in MFHD. I worked in an office full of men who didn't appreciate me and talked bad about people all day. I finally woke up and got another job at UVSC. Working for an educational institution was way less stressful and a lot of fun, and even though it was still administrative, I got to work with students and faculty and felt that I was actually making a difference. So are there any colleges or universities in the area? Check online and see if they have any openings for Department Administrative Assistants or Advisors. Sorry this had to happen to you!
Good thing you went protected. I wouldn't want my former (and fat!) coworkers reading my personal blog after all that :) Pretty lame, but like you said, you didn't like it anyway. I have had jobs that I loved and some I hated. But I never felt completely fulfilled in my job until I stopped working for other people and started my own business. And most days it doesn't even feel like work because I love it so much. Getting paid for it is just a bonus :)
About the masters degree. I recommend doing it, or at least starting it, before kids come into the picture for you two. Once you have children, there are always other places for the money to go and free time is hard to come by.
And education loans are interest free until you graduate and tax deductible. Something to think about. The other option is to find a job that will PAY for your masters. Most large companies provide that benefit. That's what I did. Free education! I had two semesters left until Justin made me move away *sob* but I was happy to get at least two years under my belt.
Is there some sort of apprenticeship in therapy you could do to get experience or a therapist group you could work for - even if you start as a receptionist - just to get your foot into the field you are interested in??
Just throwing my two cents out there. Good luck!!!
Wow. That's really all I can say. Wow. That's messed up.
That is crazy and ridiculous! I got all paranoid after I read about it and have been going through my blog now making sure I didn't write anything that might be taken in the wrong way...so crazy. How did they even find it? Your full name isn't even attached to it. That's just really bizarre.
Weird, Weird! Sorry, that stinks! But I think your'e absolutely right! Things definitely happen for a reason. Let's just go to Sound of Music for a second! lol When the lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window! lol No seriously though, you are beautiful, smart and talented and can make a difference! I know you'll find what you're looking for and something that will make you truly happy!
I love the comment "you are only in this for the money". Aren't we ALL in this for the money? You should have asked your temp lady if she is there to make the world a better place or if she is just wanting to pay the bills.
Post a Comment