Saturday, April 12, 2008

Preparing my talk...

So tomorrow I have been assigned to speak in sacrament meeting with my husband. He is speaking on the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. I am speaking on blessing lives through the Priesthood. It's a stressful enough task to prepare a 10 minute talk to give in front of the biggest ward I've ever seen in my life (although I actually love speaking usually, I'm just out of practice). Add on top of that the stress of last week's firing, this week's hiring and learning more than I learned in my last semester at college in the past 3 days on the job. I also teach the 16 year olds Sunday School class, but luckily it's a team teach and I don't have to do it this week.
As it happens, I just received a phone call from the sunday school prez, telling me that sister anderson (the sweet old lady...like 70+ years old who team teaches with me) has come down with some serious ailment and asking if I can do the lesson tomorrow. Hmm. She didn't become sick today, did she? I think not. Why was I not informed of this days ago? This lesson happens to be on the allegory of the olive tree. Definitely needs preparation because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to that.

So I said no.

I called him back and told him I'm preparing for my sacrament talk and just didn't think I could properly prepare for sunday school as well, seeing as it's in like 16 hours. I know my limits, and I know I wouldn't be able to prepare a GOOD lesson for these kids AND finish off my talk in this time! I'm feeling really guilty for saying no, even though I know it was what needed to be done.

Am I a bad person?

PS...I'm not voting for Hilary Clinton, I just thought I'd put a picture up of someone who is busy giving speeches! ... Just don't want to give off wrong political messages for myself!

8 comments:

Brittney said...

I'm glad to hear you're not voting for Hilary!!! Now that I cleared that up...you are not a bad person for saying "No". It's sad that some people don't prepare their lessons until they are sitting in Sacrament meeting. That just says something about you, that you actually needed some time to adequately "prepare" ahead of time!

You and Ogg both did a great job on your talks.

Misty said...

so, how'd it go? We had to speak on Easter, which was also "invite a friend" week. Ugh. THe pressure was on, but now it's over and we hopefully don't have to worry about it for a while! I'm sure you guys did great!

Misty said...

oh...and i'm one of those people that sometimes prepares my lessons during sacrament - but cut me some slack, I teach the sunbeams! =)

Nickell said...

It is not a bad thing to say no, and for some reason most women have a really hard time saying no! I have had to do it before, and I am glad that I did, I would have been way too overwhelmed had I agreed. So just relax.

The Mercer Family said...

You're a busy girl! My hubby and I taught the 16 year olds. They can be great to teach, but you're absolutely right- it takes a lot of preparation to get them excited and involved in the lessons! Hope your talk went well. As soon as you get a moment you should tell us more about your new job! I'm sure your crazy right now, but sometimes that kind of crazy is fun too! :))

cat+tadd=sam said...

How was the lesson? I would literally pee my pants if anyone asked me to speak.

whitneyingram said...

Here is my new favorite quote by Elder Ballard... We just went over this in our YW Presidency meeting.

Occasionally we find some who become so energetic in their Church service that their lives become unbalanced. They start believing that the programs they administer are more important than the people they serve. They complicate their service with needless frills and embellishments that occupy too much time, cost too much money, and sap too much energy. They refuse to delegate or to allow others to grow in their respective responsibilities.

As a result of their focusing too much time and energy on their Church service, eternal family relationships can deteriorate. Employment performance can suffer. This is not healthy, spiritually or otherwise. While there may be times when our Church callings require more intense effort and unusual focus, we need to strive to keep things in proper balance. We should never allow our service to replace the attention needed by other important priorities in our lives. Remember King Benjamin’s counsel: “And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength” (Mosiah 4:27).

Coombs Family said...

Shan... I gave that lesson in sunday school! Alex and I were teachers back in Utah...it was great! Ya, I know what ya mean about not knowing the topic... I was very intimidated by it too! Anyway, just thought I'd comment on that!